18 november 2006 * tucson, arizona * 109 miles

Monday, May 01, 2006

slacker

Those of you that have been paying attention these past couple of years will recall that the spring is when yours truly floods your inbox with tales of bicycles and long miles and pleas for help fighting blood cancers. Those of you that have REALLY been paying attention will note that I am WAY behind this year.

For those that have asked - and there are more than a few - yes, I will be riding around Lake Tahoe again this year with Team in Training. I am raising money in return for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society for their fight against blood cancers. The difference this year - and the reason for the delay in this email - is that I will, in addition to the Tahoe ride, be participating in two other rides with the Team. I have spent the past few weeks figuring out how to handle the fundraising commitment that this would require - as a self-imposed prerequisite for my participation in these rides is too avoid asking for donations from my friends and family more than once a year - but finally came to the conclusion that, yes, I can raise this money and commit my time to the cause.

So once I complete America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride around Lake Tahoe (and it's coming up fast; we've only three training rides left before the big event), I will join the Seagull Century team in progress to prepare for that ride in early October. And when THAT'S done, I'll head out to Arizona for the Tour de Tucson in mid-November. My goal is to raise a total of $6,000 this year for the three rides combined. If that seems like a lot, well, it is. Especially considering there's a few other things I have planned for that time, as well. But I believe strongly in the cause and the program. And most importantly, the money we raise gets results. When I did my first ride, only two years ago, the Society armed us with many statistics. One of these was "In this country, a person dies of a blood cancer every nine minutes." This year, we are up to every ten minutes. That may not seem like much, but over the course of a day that's sixteen people that would have lost their life just two years ago; that's 5,840 over the course of a year. That's noticeable progress to me.

I am sorry don't have a story ready for you at this time. Story time begins later this week once I get my head around last Saturday's bittersweet ride. In the meantime, I am only $200 shy of my Tahoe commitment, and have a clean slate for Seagull, so you have the opportunity to either push me over the top or kick things off Links to donate are below. Many thanks.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home