18 november 2006 * tucson, arizona * 109 miles

Wednesday, April 28, 2004

long island is a terminal moraine

A terminal moraine is formed from the debris left by a retreating glacier. Geologically, Sugarloaf Mountain in Frederick County, Maryland is known as a monadnock (architecturally, a monadnock is a building in Chicago - the last skyscraper to employ load-bearing masonry construction. And a handsome building at that), a mountain that remains after the erosion of the surrounding land. for Sugarloaf, that process took approximately 14 million years. At an elevation of 1,282 feet, Sugarloaf stands more than 800 feet above the farmland below. The rugged cliffs on the summit are composed primarily of quartzite, the predominant type of rock on the mountain. And I am going to ride up it on Saturday.

Last Saturday was my first long ride on my new bicycle and it couldn't have gone better. We did a 65 mile loop out of Reston, VA, circling the wonder that is Dulles airport, and heading out to and through Leesburg; it's what's called a 'metric century' - 100 kM - and the rest of the world's century ride. And, as I mentioned, the ride couldn't have gone better. I was more sunburned than tired(though I didn't realize it at the time) and could have gone further had I needed to. Don't get me wrong - I was plenty pleased to finished - but if I had to go another 10 or 15 miles I could have. We've got 65 this weekend, including the ride up Sugarloaf Mountain, and I have no doubts about my ability to succeed. This road bike is a godsend.

Our Comedy Sportz fundraiser was later that night, and it was also a success. Though our audience was a little less than we hoped for (it was a beautiful Saturday evening, and I can hardly blame most people for wanting to be outside) we still raised over $1500 for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Due to my co-host responsibilities, I didn't get to see as much as I'd have liked, but what I did get to see was very entertaining. Those of you near me can get a 'buy-one-get-one-free' coupon if you're interested, and for those of you not in northern Virginia - they're national, check ' em out. And I'd like to extend a special thank you to the tag-team of Vrabel/Sage for selling raffle tickets (after traveling from the 'Burgh, no less).

Katie and I were pleased to have Brandon Zammit, one of our honored teammates, and his dad Jim as guests at our fundraiser. Brandon has Acute Lymphotic Leukemia and undertakes chemotherapy every 28 days and a spinal tap every 84 days. He should complete treatment on November 17, 2005. Brandon graciously volunteered to draw the names from the proverbial hat for the raffle and the door prizes, and as luck would have it, he won the prize he most coveted - dessert for ten. The grin on his face as we announced his name was worth all the work.

Thank you all who have already donated or committed to donate to this great cause. Thank you also to those who have sent messages of support and encouragement. (My sisters have been champions here - thank you so much, Jan and Julie, I owe you both big time.) If you haven't and want to, there's still time. I need to send checks to the charity in about a week, and you can donate online up to May 17.

Mr. Routson, my high school calculus teacher, used to give us a pass for not paying attention in class if we were daydreaming about curing cancer. I paid attention in class, but he'd look the other way if I was in his class nowadays. Thanks again for your help and support.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home