18 november 2006 * tucson, arizona * 109 miles

Monday, April 19, 2004

third prize

I'd make a terrible salesman. If my livelihood depended directly on my ability to part people from their money, I'd be the guy driving the Hyundai.

I spent my summers in high school and college working at a Marathon service station in Perrysburg, Ohio. It was a great job mostly because (ironically) I spent the bulk of my time driving around. I averaged 200 miles a day. During my downtime, my primary responsibility was to attempt to sell the service department by cleaning windshields and checking oil and tires at the self-serve pumps. Now, I was only employed for a few months at a time, so I was not awarded a blue uniform with a red 'M' above one pocket and my name embroidered over the other. Instead, Ray gave me a couple of old shirts and I wore my own ratty jeans, and when I shuffled out to the unsuspecting customers pumping their gas, my sell was so soft they sometimes assumed I was hitting them up for money. One woman even reported to the counter clerk in hushed tones that there was a young red-headed "panhandler" hanging around outside. Roger and Ruben had a field day with that one; it was weeks before I heard the end of it.

That was ten years ago and times have changed. Now I can use the internet.

I've been putting this off for weeks because, as you know, I'm from the midwest where discussing money is taboo. It still feels a little like panhandling - or e-panhandling, in this case - but then "no thanks, not interested" is always a valid response. Team in Training is the world's largest endurance training program, raising money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Amateur athletes participate in marathons, triathlons, and cycling events all across the United States. I've signed up for "America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride" - a 100 mile circuit of Lake Tahoe. In return for the coaching and basic travel expenses, I've agreed to raise $4,000 for the charity. 75% of the money our team raises (the DC chapter's goal this year is $2.5 million) goes directly to Leukemia research and patient services.

It's just over six weeks 'til the ride and I've already got a 50-miler under my belt. (On a mountain bike, no less. After that ride I decided to suck it up and get myself a road bike.) We'll be adding about ten miles a week to our rides from here on out. In the meantime, my teammate and coworker Katie and I have been planning a big fundraiser at the newly re-opened Old Town Theater. The local chapter of a national improv comedy troupe, Comedy Sportz, will be performing, and we will be holding a raffle (tickets on sale now) and awarding a few door prizes.

So if you'd like to help me reach me goal, drop me a line and I'll send you more info. You can donate by cash, check, or credit card and your donation is, of course, tax deductible. And if you can't or don't care to donate, that's just fine too. Even a short message wishing me luck would be much appreciated.

I may not win the Cadillac, or even the steak knives, but I am sure with your help I can avoid the dreaded third prize.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home